Identifying signs of mouth cancer early is paramount and at Arden House our dentists take this role very seriously. According to studies, mouth cancer is one of the primary concerns surrounding dental health.
We understand that visiting us for a screening can be intimidating; our dentists will always do their utmost to make you feel at ease.
What to expect when you come to a mouth cancer check at Arden House
We will check your teeth and gums during your regular consultations and we will also check for early symptoms of mouth cancer. Your dentist here at Arden House will assess the health of your oral tissues by checking your lips and inside of your mouth.
Symptoms of mouth cancer include:
– Sore mouth ulcers that don’t seem to be healing.
– Persistent lumps in your mouth.
– Persistent lumps in your neck.
– Loose teeth.
– Strange sensation in your lip and tongue.
– Red or white patches on your mouth’s lining.
– Changes in your speech – a lisp/different way of enunciating.
Veloscope – Mouth cancer detection
Our dentists are trained to identify the onset of mouth cancers and checking for symptoms is now part of your general check-up. However, abnormal tissues (including pre-cancerous and cancerous tissues) are not always obvious. With this in mind, we have invested in the latest screening system – known as a Velscope. Its fluorescent light is used to identify changes in your mouth tissue that might not be visible to the naked eye.
You’re in safe hands at Arden House
We will refer you to a specialist if we feel you might benefit from a more thorough examination – this will be at Cheltenham General or Gloucester hospital. Unlike many other practices in our area, we can offer patients the opportunity to see our Consultant Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon Mr Jerry Farrier directly here at Arden House. Mr Farrier can take a small biopsy if necessary or simply monitor and review any concerns.
Is there anything I can do to keep mouth cancer at bay?
The NHS advise that the most effective ways of preventing mouth cancer from developing or from returning are:
– Avoid smoking.
– Stay within the recommended units of alcohol per week.
– Eat a balanced, Mediterranean-style diet that includes fresh vegetables.
– Maintain good oral health. If you feel you could improve your oral hygiene, please contact us and we can arrange an appointment with our hygienst who can help you improve your oral hygiene routine.
If you would like more information about mouth cancer screening at Arden House, please do not hesitate to contact us.